Location: Washington, DC
Full time: Hybrid, Remote/In-Office
Salary Range: $45-50,000 annually
The Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that utilizes dialogue, research, and advocacy to strengthen the constituency for U.S. policies that support democratic reform in the Middle East.
POMED is currently hiring a detail-oriented and strategic Communications Associate to join our growing communications team. Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Associate will work closely with the research, advocacy, and partnership program teams to build POMED’s influence with target audiences across a variety of communications channels. This position will work to maximize the visibility of POMED across traditional and social media, as well as through virtual and in-person events. In addition to having a passion for democracy and human rights, the successful candidate will be self-motivated, highly collaborative, creative, and eager to learn.
- In collaboration with the Communications Director, drive execution of program communications strategies, including managing a program communications calendar, developing and managing website and social media content, and coordinating communications activities across programs and distribution channels.
- Assist in media relations and in monitoring POMED’s presence in relevant policy, research, and stakeholder communities.
- Provide writing and editing for a variety of editorial and promotional products.
- Create compelling visual assets and digital media products to communicate messaging, promote products, and advance advocacy goals, including through social media graphics and videos for multiple platforms.
- With program teams, manage execution of both in-person and virtual events, including managing logistics, technical production, and promotion.
- Track and report on program communications metrics and progress.
- Have a minimum of one to three years in communications with experience in multidisciplinary communications functions, including content development, strategy, messaging, social media, public relations, and/or government affairs.
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills, as demonstrated in a writing sample.
- Possess a strong command of social media, especially Twitter and Facebook.
- Serve as a team player, collaborating with colleagues at all levels and across programs, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency, and that pursues impact through continuous improvement and learning.
- Bring critical thinking, energy, and creativity to this work, with the aim of advancing POMED’s organizational goals and mission.
- Possess a passion for strengthening and protecting human rights and democracy and a high level of integrity that embodies and reflects POMED values.
- Be a self-starter who enjoys crafting and implementing new insights while working with others.
- Be able to get up to speed quickly on complex topics, embrace challenges, pinpoint opportunities, and stay on top of communication trends.
HELPFUL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES:
- Fluency in graphics software (such as Adobe Creative Suite or Canva); CMS (such as WordPress), digital analytics tools (such as Google Analytics), and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices.
- Proficiency with Zoom and livestreaming technologies.
- Experience with video and/or podcast production.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with issues of political development in the Middle East and North Africa.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the position title in the subject line. We will begin reviewing resumes on Tuesday, November 1, and will continue to review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please include in your application materials the status of your authorization to work in the United States.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for a Communications Associate is $45-50,000 annually. Additional benefits include: health, vision, and dental insurance; annual, sick, and parental leave; access to a pre-tax 403B retirement plan; and time off on all federal holidays and between December 25 and January 1.
The Project on Middle East Democracy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Project on Middle East Democracy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran.