Program Associate for Civil Society Partnerships – CSP201703
POMED is currently hiring a Program Associate to help support POMED’s work with civil society organizations across the Middle East and North Africa, as well as to coordinate ongoing joint projects between POMED and regional organizations. The position includes programmatic support and financial/grant management support to our civil society partners. Responsibilities will be split between program duties related to POMED’s regional partnerships with civil society organizations and supporting other POMED initiatives, as needed.
POMED’s Civil Society Partnerships program currently includes formal partnerships and projects with 16 organizations from countries across the Middle East and North Africa. The overarching objective of all projects is to help build the capacity of nongovernmental organizations to undertake effective, independent policy research and advocacy, while also supporting each partner organization’s development and strengthening its management capacity. POMED provides technical support to its partners as they produce policy analysis and provide recommendations to their national governments and policymakers, mirroring POMED’s own efforts to inform and influence the policymaking process in Washington.
The Program Associate will be responsible for:
Program support and grants management (90%)
- Under the supervision of senior program staff:
- Playing a leading role in coordinating and monitoring progress on projects undertaken by POMED’s regional civil society partner organizations, particularly in Iraq, Libya, and Yemen;
- Overseeing partner expenditures and ensuring budget reporting compliance;
- Providing mentorship, feedback and technical support to a portfolio of five civil society partner organizations;
- Overseeing the development of an online resource library for civil society organizations in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Assisting with reporting requirements, audits, and other program management activities;
- Assisting with editing and translation of publications and online materials;
- Assisting with the planning and execution of public events.
General support (10%)
- Aiding senior staff in scheduling, drafting correspondence, and related tasks as needed;
- Assisting in the general administration of the office as needed.
- Successful applicants will be bright, highly motivated, and organized.
- Strong communication skills, a detail-oriented approach to work, and the ability to multi-task are essential. The ideal candidate is also a strong team player.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required; candidates with master’s degrees are welcome to apply.
- Native (or equivalent) fluency in spoken and written Arabic is necessary.
- Relevant experience with nonprofit and/or democracy promotion organization; specific knowledge of countries in the Middle East and North Africa is a plus.
- Ideal candidates will have a demonstrated interest in democratic reform in the Middle East and North Africa and a strong commitment to POMED’s mission and principles.
- This position will be based in Washington, DC, with the possibility of overseas travel.
- Native (or equivalent) fluency in spoken and written English is preferred; knowledge of French is a plus.
- Experience working with Adobe products (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) to design and format publications is valuable.
- Copy-editing experience is preferred.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three- to five-page writing sample as separate .pdf files to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single email with your first name, last name, and the position title/number in the subject line (e.g. Jane Doe, Program Associate CSP201703). Please include in your application materials the status of your authorization to work in the U.S. We will begin reviewing application materials on April 19, 2017. Any questions should be directed to email@example.com. Please no calls.
The Project on Middle East Democracy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Project on Middle East Democracy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran.