Kuwait: Protests Planned Despite Government Warnings
Protesters are set to march in Kuwait City to protest against an amendment to the electoral law ordered by Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah last month ahead of a snap December 1 parliamentary election. “There are mediators working to reach a solution between all parties as well as the political leadership. Several prominent figures have met the prime minister to discuss the matter,” local Arabic daily al-Jareeda reported. Despite warnings from the Kuwaiti government, the protesters said they will proceed with the rally as planned. “We will continue. The opposition no longer cares about government statements,” an anonymous opposition activist said. Worries persist that violence could break out between the two sides as, “the interior ministry will use all means necessary to prevent illegal processions,” while, ”the army and national guard may be called in if needed to deal with any breach of public order,” a security source said. The interior ministry confirmed its position on the matter saying “the ministry has not issued a permit or received an application to organize a demonstration or a rally. The security agencies have a crucial role in applying the law to ensure the safety of Kuwaitis and expatriates and to protect public and private property.” Meanwhile, activists like Muna al-Fuzai continue to call for expanded human rights protection and freedom of expression in Kuwait. “Freedom, I think, needs to be secured, protected and observed not necessarily by the police and the authorities but by everyone in the larger society,” she wrote.