Bahraini Protesters Arrested for Sabotage
On September 21, Bahraini police announced that they had arrested 29 suspects involved with rioting and vandalism in the capital city. “Rioters hurled petrol bombs, iron rods and stones, endangering both the police and civilians in the commercial centre of Manama on Friday afternoon and evening,” the general director of the Capital Governorate Police said. He also said that the riots were part of an illegal demonstration that had taken place earlier in the day.
Meanwhile, Bahrain has pledged to accept recommendations issued by the UN Human Rights Council. The recommendations call for fair trials, guarantees against the use of torture, and increased cooperation with the UN on investigations into abuse cases. Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Shaikh Khalid Bin Ahmad Bin Mohammad al-Khalifa told the council,“Our actions, more than our words, should dispel any doubts regarding my government’s commitment to upholding human rights through the rule of law. Let us follow the path of dialogue, not propaganda.”
Finally, 39 people have been referred to a Bahrain criminal court for their alleged participation in a twin bombing attack which took place in April. The attack wounded four policeman in the Shiite village of Diraz. The trial is set to begin October 11, while 18 of the suspects remain at large. The group is charged with “carrying out terrorist crimes… aimed at undermining security [as well as] endangering the lives of people and public and private property,” said deputy attorney general Ibrahim al-Kawari.